National Heritage Gallery

240 Roberts Lane
Seymour, Tennessee 37865
To Order Please Call-865-579-0737

nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

To view a more detailed image or additional images for each product click on any thumbnail below.


Cades Cove In Summer

This collection of 21 minutely detailed and sculpted miniatures are designed from exact measurements of the original buildings in the Cove. Production is limited to only 3,500 of each. Every miniature is signed and numbered and comes with a history and certificate of authenticity.
All available miniatures are shown below. If you prefer, you may also view the items under the four descriptive categories by clicking on the one of choice.
The miniatures are identified with Group A or B for collectors wishing to purchase individual pieces in a Matched Number Set.


All Categories : Cades Cove In Summer

Elijah Oliver Place
EOP
Our Price: $112.00

Group B

8"L X 4"W X 4"H

The original Elijah Oliver cabin was enlarged when Elijah purchased a cabin from the Herron family and attached it to their home. This provided a separate room for a kitchen and created a "split-level" home, maybe a first in the 1880's. The space between the levels was called a dog trot. Steps led down from the main part of the house into the kitchen.


Elijah Oliver Springhouse
EOS
Our Price: $49.95

Group A

4 1/2"L X 2 3/4"W X 2"H

The springhouse cooled food using evaporation combined with a constant supply of cold mountain water. The springhouse "refrigerator" was constructed of logs and usually had a puncheon floor. The seepage from the spring flowed under the floor and kept the springhouse reasonably cool and dry. Inside the springhouse were wooden troughs of various sizes to hold the precious staples of the pioneer families.


Hamp Tipton Place
HTP
Our Price: $105.00

Group B

6 1/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

The Hamp Tipton house was built a few years after the Civil War by Col J.W. "Hamp" Tipton. In 1878, James McCaulley, a blacksmith, occupied the house. His blacksmith shop and the buggy shed/corn crib and cantilever barn were all built in the immediate vicinity. Although the Tipton cabin is now covered with clapboard, the main body of the structure was log and our miniature is reproduced in the original material.


Henry Whitehead Cabin
HWC
Our Price: $112.50

Group A

7 3/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

Two separate cabins make up the Henry Whitehead place. The smaller of the cabins was built around 1887 and hurriedly constructed of rough-hewn logs with jagged ends and a rubble stone chimney. By contrast, the larger cabin, built in 1898 was constructed of logs sawed square at a nearby sawmill, fit tightly together so little chinking was necessary. On the inside, most of the logs were hand planed. The outside wall toward the prevailing wind was weatherboarded to keep out the wind and preserve the chinking. There was a rare brick chimney, made of bricks molded and fired right on the Whitehead land.


John Oliver Cabin
JOC
Our Price: $79.50

Group B

This Miniature Has Been Retired From Open Stock. It Is Still Available As A Matched Number Set Item.


4 1/2"L X 4 1/4"W X 4"H

The Cove's first white settlers, the John Oliver family, arrived at Cades Cove in the fall of 1818. All the other inhabitants were Cherokee and it was still illegal for white settlement there. John built their cabin in the upper end of the Cove and raised four children. Six people in such a small cabin must have been close quarters.


Methodist Church
MC
Our Price: $98.50

Group A

6 3/4"L X 5"W X 5 3/4"H

The first Methodist Church in Cades Cove was a crude log structure built around 1840. The Methodist Church that stands in the Cove today was constructed in 1902 and has two doors. The ladies entered through the door on the left; the men on the right; and they were seated accordingly, once inside.


Missionary Baptist Church
MBC
Our Price: $92.00

Group B

6 1/2"L X 4"W X 5 1/2"H

The Missionary Baptist Church was an offshoot of the first congregation in the Cove, the Primitive Baptist Church. These people were dismissed from the Primitive Baptist Congregation because they favored support of missions, which was a national issue for the baptists in 1839. The Missionary Baptist Church was built around 1894 and has a small cemetery near the church.


Primitive Baptist Church
PBC
Our Price: $97.50

Group B

This Miniature Has Been Retired From Open Stock. It Is Still Available As A Matched Number Set Item.


6 1/4"L X 4 3/4"W X 5 1/2"H

Established as a separate entity in 1829, the Primitive Baptist Church is the oldest established church in Cades Cove. The present building replaced the original log structure in 1887. Each of the churches in the Cove had their own burial ground. Since many of the pioneer settlers are burried there, the Primitive Baptist Cemetery is perhaps the oldest of the church cemeteries in the Cove.


Smokehouse at Cable Mill
SCM
Our Price: $49.95

Group A

4 3/4"L X 3"W X 3 1/2"H

Usually located near their cabin, the smokehouse was tightly chinked to keep out insects and other varmints. Typically, it had a shelf for storing meat, as well as poles across the rafters for hanging the hams, bacons, pork shoulders, sausages wrapped in corn husks, wild game and fowl.


The Necessary House
NH
Our Price: $39.95

Group A

2 3/4"L X 2 3/4"W X 3"H

The pioneers' "commode" was contained in its own structure. As soon as their cabins were completed, the settlers built a "Necessary House." It was usually located away from the house and not near the stream. Rain or shine, day or night, when nature called it meant a trip to the little house out back.


<< PREVIOUS Page 2 of 3NEXT >>


HOME

E-Mail: nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

Copyright 2006, National Heritage
Produced by 1st Internet Resources