National Heritage Gallery

240 Roberts Lane
Seymour, Tennessee 37865
To Order Please Call-865-579-0737

nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

To view a more detailed image or additional images for each product click on any thumbnail below.


Accessory Structures

All Categories : Cades Cove In Summer : Accessory Structures

Bee Gum Stand
BGS
Our Price: $39.95

Group A

5"L X 3"W X 3 1/4"H

A lone chimney and a stand of bee gums - all that remain of a pioneer homestead. These landmarks can be seen on many country roads as well as in the Cove. Most families in the Cove had a bee gum stand or bee hives. A stand was a collection of hollowed out black gum logs cut in 2 foot lengths and stacked two or three high.


Blacksmith Shop
BS
Our Price: $52.00

Group A

3 3/4"L X 4 1/4"W X 3"H

The early settlers of Cades Cove were happy when in 1878, James McCaulley, blacksmith, settled in the Cove. Iron was an all-important commodity, and it was scarce. It was used and reused until it just plain wore out.


Buggyshed/Corncrib
BC
Our Price: $57.50

Group A

4 1/2"L X 4"W X 3 1/2"H

The Buggyshed/Corncrib was a unique structure built in the 1870's by Col. J.W.H. Tipton. The architectural style of his buggy shed and corncrib is similar to breezeways and carports of today. It too served a dual purpose; storage for the corn and protection for the buggy or wagon in inclement weather.


Cable Mill
CM
Our Price: $122.50

Group B

8"L X 5 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

The first mill in the Cove using water power was built in the 1840s by Frederick Shields. The Cable Mill was built by John P. Cable in 1868. It was larger than Shield's mill and was used to grind corn, wheat and other grains. It was also used as a sawmill. John Cable used a log and lumber dam to hold the water from Forge and Mill creeks in a pond. The water leaves the pond through a water gate, runs through an earthen race into a wooden flume. The flume dumps it onto the water wheel to supply power to the mill.


Cherokee Indian Shelter
CIS
Our Price: $57.00

Group A

4"L X 4 1/4"W X 3 1/4"H

This sculpture portrays an original winter home of the Cherokee people prior to European influence. The winter houses were patterned after the council house. The walls were made of wattle a fabrication of interwoven saplings covered with daub, a plaster-like substance made with mud.The roof was made using tree bark, a fire smoldered in a center hearth. There were no windows and only a small door.


Elijah Oliver Corncrib
EOC
Our Price: $39.95

Group B

4 3/4"L X 2 1/4"W X 2 1/4"H

Perhaps the corn crib represents the greatest Indian legacy to the pioneers. "Indian Maize," or corn, was the most essential of all their crops. The cribs were usually long and narrow, filled to capacity with corn on the cob and in the shuck. The small front door was used to take the corn out of the crib as needed.


Elijah Oliver Springhouse
EOS
Our Price: $49.95

Group A

4 1/2"L X 2 3/4"W X 2"H

The springhouse cooled food using evaporation combined with a constant supply of cold mountain water. The springhouse "refrigerator" was constructed of logs and usually had a puncheon floor. The seepage from the spring flowed under the floor and kept the springhouse reasonably cool and dry. Inside the springhouse were wooden troughs of various sizes to hold the precious staples of the pioneer families.


Smokehouse at Cable Mill
SCM
Our Price: $49.95

Group A

4 3/4"L X 3"W X 3 1/2"H

Usually located near their cabin, the smokehouse was tightly chinked to keep out insects and other varmints. Typically, it had a shelf for storing meat, as well as poles across the rafters for hanging the hams, bacons, pork shoulders, sausages wrapped in corn husks, wild game and fowl.


The Necessary House
NH
Our Price: $39.95

Group A

2 3/4"L X 2 3/4"W X 3"H

The pioneers' "commode" was contained in its own structure. As soon as their cabins were completed, the settlers built a "Necessary House." It was usually located away from the house and not near the stream. Rain or shine, day or night, when nature called it meant a trip to the little house out back.


The Schoolhouse
TS
Our Price: $92.00

Group B

4 7/8"L X 6 3/4"W X 3 3/4"H

Early settlers home-schooled their children. Later, churches doubled as schools and once in a while someone would hold an "Old Field" school in a simple log structure with a dirt floor and a fire pit in the center. In 1878 the Cades Cove district schools were mentioned in the Maryville Index. By 1900, four one-room schools had been built and were operating in the Cove. The National Park Service did not preserve any of the schools in the Cove so Leo Preisler patterned his sculpture from descriptions of former Cades Cove residents.


  Page 1 of 1  


HOME

E-Mail: nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

Copyright 2006, National Heritage
Produced by 1st Internet Resources