National Heritage Gallery

240 Roberts Lane
Seymour, Tennessee 37865
To Order Please Call-865-579-0737

nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

To view a more detailed image or additional images for each product click on any thumbnail below.


Cabins

All Categories : Cades Cove In Summer : Cabins

Becky Cable House (Encore)
BCH
Our Price: $157.00

Group A

5 1/2"L X 6 3/4"W X 4"H

The Becky Cable House was probably the first frame structure in Cades Cove. Constructed by Leason Gregg in 1879. In 1887 it was sold to Aunt Becky, the unmarried daughter of John P. Cable and her brother Dan. A unique feature of the main chimney of the house was a seat built into its base. The seat became a popular place for young people to sit and "spark."


Carter Shields Cabin
CSC
Our Price: $79.50

Group B

This Miniature Has Been Retired From Open Stock. It Is Still Available As A Matched Number Set Item.


4 1/2"L X 4 1/4"W X 3 1/4"H

Built in the 1880's, this cabin was home to many Cove families; the Sparks, the Olivers, the Anthonys and then Carter Shields in 1910. A 66 year old Union Army veteran, Shields farmed his land. In 1919 Shields sold the property to Bud Gregory who sold it to Wade Tipton in 1922. The property was then sold to the State of Tennessee and ultimately became part of the Smoky Mountains National Park.


Dan Lawson Place
DLP
Our Price: $89.50

Group A

4"L X 6 7/8"W X 4 1/4"H

In 1850, Dan Lawson married Mary Jane Cable, Peter Cable's only daughter. After Peter's death in 1865, Dan took over the Cable farm and expanded it into one of the largest holdings in the Cove. Some people called this the Peter Cable Place and it is likely that the original Peter Cable cabin is part of the Dan Lawson Place, probably the first portion constructed. The brick chimney, an unusual sight in the Cove, was constructed of bricks made on the property. The finishing work on the inside of the house is some of the best in the Cove. The faces of the logs were hewn smooth with an adze and the ceiling joists were dressed and beaded with a plane - unusual detailing for the 1800's.


Elijah Oliver Place
EOP
Our Price: $112.00

Group B

8"L X 4"W X 4"H

The original Elijah Oliver cabin was enlarged when Elijah purchased a cabin from the Herron family and attached it to their home. This provided a separate room for a kitchen and created a "split-level" home, maybe a first in the 1880's. The space between the levels was called a dog trot. Steps led down from the main part of the house into the kitchen.


Hamp Tipton Place
HTP
Our Price: $105.00

Group B

6 1/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

The Hamp Tipton house was built a few years after the Civil War by Col J.W. "Hamp" Tipton. In 1878, James McCaulley, a blacksmith, occupied the house. His blacksmith shop and the buggy shed/corn crib and cantilever barn were all built in the immediate vicinity. Although the Tipton cabin is now covered with clapboard, the main body of the structure was log and our miniature is reproduced in the original material.


Henry Whitehead Cabin
HWC
Our Price: $112.50

Group A

7 3/4"L X 4 1/2"W X 4 1/2"H

Two separate cabins make up the Henry Whitehead place. The smaller of the cabins was built around 1887 and hurriedly constructed of rough-hewn logs with jagged ends and a rubble stone chimney. By contrast, the larger cabin, built in 1898 was constructed of logs sawed square at a nearby sawmill, fit tightly together so little chinking was necessary. On the inside, most of the logs were hand planed. The outside wall toward the prevailing wind was weatherboarded to keep out the wind and preserve the chinking. There was a rare brick chimney, made of bricks molded and fired right on the Whitehead land.


John Oliver Cabin
JOC
Our Price: $79.50

Group B

This Miniature Has Been Retired From Open Stock. It Is Still Available As A Matched Number Set Item.


4 1/2"L X 4 1/4"W X 4"H

The Cove's first white settlers, the John Oliver family, arrived at Cades Cove in the fall of 1818. All the other inhabitants were Cherokee and it was still illegal for white settlement there. John built their cabin in the upper end of the Cove and raised four children. Six people in such a small cabin must have been close quarters.


  Page 1 of 1  


HOME

E-Mail: nhgcollectibles@nationalheritage.com

Copyright 2006, National Heritage
Produced by 1st Internet Resources